With a new year comes plenty of fresh opportunities to begin a new chapter. Whether your goals for 2018 include career progression, more travelling, saving money, or anything else, here at Bow Lane Dental we always believe that health should be a top priority.
Of course, this will mean something different for each individual, from losing weight, to running a marathon, and everything in between, but there are a few dental resolutions that we can all benefit from.
With that in mind – and because we just love seeing healthy and happy smiles at Bow Lane Dental – here are a few suggestions of promises you can make to yourself, and your dentist!
- I promise to brush my teeth for two minutes both morning and night – If you’ve never timed yourself, try it! Most people are often surprised at the short amount of time they actually spend brushing their teeth
- I promise to floss every day – If you don’t floss, you’re missing out on cleaning a large area of your teeth. Only flossing will effectively remove trapped food particles from between your teeth and the other areas where your toothbrush can’t reach
- I promise to visit my dentist as often as recommended – Your regular appointments enable us to spot things like plaque build up or decay in the early stages. This allows us to carry out minimal treatment before things become more serious or painful, which is also much more cost effective for you
- I promise to quit bad habits – Smoking and high alcohol consumption are not just bad for our organs, they have a detrimental impact on the teeth, mouth, and gums, too. From tooth staining, to increased levels of gum disease, and even enhancing your risk of oral cancer, these habits have a huge impact on your overall health
- I promise to make healthier food and drink choices – Reducing your sugar intake will make your dentist your new best friend! Along with this, try to stick to eating at meal times rather than snacking in between. This will limit the amount of time your teeth come under an acid attack from the foods we consume, and allows the body sufficient time to remineralise and harden the enamel again after such an attack. Your waistline will thank you, too!
We hope you’ll consider at least some of these promises as you begin this new year, and we look forward to seeing you and helping you to look after your teeth during 2018. Get a head start and call 020 7236 3600 today to book your Healthy Mouth Review with us!
Author: Bow Lane Dental
Categories: All articles, Dental hygiene, Oral hygiene, Sugar and diet, Tooth brushing
Tags: all articles, cleaning teeth, enamel, flossing, gum disease, gums, healthier food and drink, high alcohol consumption, oral cancer, plaque, remineralise, smoking, snacking, sugar intake, tooth staining, trapped food